One thing is clear - constitutional issues dominant the news - because the relationship between the citizen and the state - and the rules governing the makeup and operation of the institutions of the state - are matters which are key issues for people. So what stories did my students point to?
- whether there should be a referendum on the EU treaty?
- should courts be made more open - by televising them?
- Is it right that one person should have the sole right to select election day?
- what sanctions should be applied to a person who tells parliament something that might not be true?
- What will the effect of the EU reform treaty be on Britain's constitutional set-up?
- The rights of non-citizens
- the impact of the EU treaty on devolved government