- Assemble experts on the issue
- Listen carefully
- Encourage debate - Obama tends to force all people at a meeting to speak and share their views.
- Ask detailed questions - The President (as befits a lawyer) cross-examines participants
- Move discussion towards a resolution
- Act - only when a consensus has been reached
Observations on this would be appreciated - whether you have information about how the Obama White House works - or on the advisability of such an approach. I would be particularly interested in evidence or observations on Obama's negotiating style.