Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Friday 3 October 2008

Europe and America

This evening I will be in Wellingborough talking about "The EU and the US - a new future". My talk will consider the future of the transatlantic relationship. I'll be arguing that while there are many differences, sometimes even tensions, across the Atlantic - we have important shared values and Interests. Recent days have underlined how economically close we are, whilst Russia's invasion of Georgia; and the worldwide fight against violent terrorism underline the need to co-operate.

With major US elections just a month and a day away, there are opportunities to rebuild the relationship. On the other hand the world economic crisis will bring challenges - and the temptation of 'protectionism'.

I'm sure there will be great interest in the outcome of the US Presidential race - and its implications for transatlantic relationships. This morning I am travelling to London to hear Professor Paul Green, the Director of the Institute for Politics, Roosevelt University (Chicago, IL) http://www2.roosevelt.edu/dir/profile.asp?jump=688 speak about "The who, the what and the why of the 2008 US Presidential Election" at Chatham House.

And as soon as I get a chance, I'll be watching videos of last night's Vice Presidential debate. Sadly I'll miss More 4's showing of "Recount". the film about the aftermath of the 2000 Election. (9pm).