Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Sunday 17 February 2013

My Favourite Newspapers


We all have our favourites - mine are the Guardian (UK); the Washington Post (US) and Le Monde (France). It's interesting to compare stories - and news priorities across these papers! It is amazing how easy it is today to follow news in other countries. I remember when things were very different - when satellite broadcasts were rare and short. Now thanks to the internet we can get the latest news as it happens and often unfiltered by a broadcaster. (Yes - I can - and do - watch the US Congress; UK Parliament; European Parliament and Assemblee nationale on my computer.)

I do regret that there is less coverage of what is actually said in Parliament/Congress/EP & An. As a youngster I used to enjoy reading the Parliamentary reports - now we have sketchwriters (I love Simon Hoggart's pieces) and journalists explanations - but you can't beat the raw material!

What do you think? Is it time for the papers to revive the parliamentary page?