Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Wednesday 24 August 2011

The Washington Monument

It has been announced that the Washington Monument will be closed indefinitely as a result of damage sustained during yesterday's earthquake. I have to admit - I have kept putting off a climb to the top, and now I may not get the opportunity.... As a wise man once said "seize the day" (Horace - Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero – "Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future").

The monument was built in 1the 1880s, being finally completed on December 6, 1884. It is shaped like an Egyptian obelisk, stands 555' 5 1/8" tall, and offers views in excess of thirty miles. I particularly like the fact that it is possible to stand on the north side of the monument - and just by moving one's eyes can see the Reflecting Pool on the Mall and the Lincoln Memorial (where the "I have a dream" speech was delivered by Martin Luther King); the White House and the US Capitol.

The video was taken during my 25 mile sponsored walk when I was in Washington earlier this year.