Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Thursday 5 September 2013

The New Season


As long term readers of this blog will know (and as typing 'American Football' into the search box on the right hand side of this blog will reveal), I'm a big fan of American Football. [that doesn't mean I don't enjoy soccer - as Stadium MK is just a short walk away, and MK Dons are my local team - I enjoy going to watch them play in person].

Today will see the start of the 2013 season. The Thursday after Labor Day is the traditional starting day for the new season - after the pre-season games in August. The Ravens and the Broncos will set the new season off. Sadly, here in the UK, we have the problem of the time difference with the USA. It will actually be the early hours of Friday here. I will however watch the game - at a decent hour - because of my subscription to NFL's Game>Pass. Of course my loyalty is - you'd expect this in a blog called 'Washminster' - to the Washington Redskins.

Last season they played at FedEx field during my stay in Alexandria, and I enjoyed seeing them in person for the first time. I'll be cheering them on again in 2013 - starting on Tuesday morning. (the curse of the Monday Evening game!).

What do I like about the game? It's like chess with real people - without the need to stay silent! There can be some fantastic plays - as the ball goes flying over the heads of players until it is caught by a well placed attacker. At other times a nimble runner weaves his way around the seemingly impregnable wall of defenders. A quarterback can be getting ready to throw a potentially match winning throw when he is pounced upon - or the ball is intercepted as it flies through the air. It's a great game - it might take a little while for Brits to get used to, but it's worth it!.

There's a beginner's guide here.