Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Sunday 25 August 2013

Cycling


I hope today to get along to the Sky Ride Milton Keynes. (Further details here). It's on all day - and is a gentle ride.

"The 5km route starts from the Willen Lake Cafe, opposite the mini bowl, at 10.00am, and stays open until 4.00pm. You can ride the traffic-free route as many times as you like, circling the lake and taking in the peace pagoda, the stone circle, the labyrinth as well as all the leisure facilities in the park. With off-road tracks, gentle climbs and gentle descents, there’s something for everyone."

I enjoy watching the Tour de France, but sadly I'll never be up to that standard (on Friday I reached 31kmph for a couple of moments - going downhill - on the Tour the average speed, sustained over an hour, can exceed 50kmph). For me cycling is a way of saving money - it's cheaper to ride to Milton Keynes Central station than to take the bus, or to take the car & pay the parking fees. Most of all it is good for my health! When I go for a cycle I feel better afterwards; and my studying is more productive. There's increasing evidence that exercise boosts studying.

On Friday I took two hours off to cycle along the Loughton Brook; up to Wolverton; across to Stony Stratford and alongside the Roman "Watling Street" to my home. I felt so much better - in mood - and also I've written quite a bit since.

I can recommend taking up cycling - even if you are no longer in your first flush of youth (I'm certainly not - I can remember watching Churchill's funeral!) - and the city rides that are being put on around the country are a gentle way to do it.