For everyone interested in the work of Britain's Parliament; the US Congress; the European Parliament and the French Parlement.
Discuss Practice, Procedure, History and current issues.
Thursday, 12 August 2010
Updating via Podcasts
I've been taking some time to explore further podcasts to update and extend my knowledge about Parliament and Congress. Here's a list of Podcasts - they are available via iTunes - and are free!
- BBC: Today in Parliament - available from early the following morning. When Parliament is sitting I 'refresh' my podcasts on my PC then transfer to the iPhone - great for listening to on the journey from Milton Keynes to London Euston (and at 30 minutes length, just the right timings fr that journey.
- BBC: John Pienaar's weekly political review
- BBC: Weekly Political Review - top political commentators report on issues
- C-SPAN: After Words - from Book TV. Author's discuss in detail their book. Good range of subjects covered, so I don't listen to every podcast. A useful back catalogue.
- C-SPAN: Newsmakers - Sunday morning interviews with "newsmakers", mainly but not exclusively members of the House or Senate.
- C-SPAN: Q & A - Interviews with a range of people, from different backgrounds. Useful for learning about issues which might not be the number one headline, but which Congress is considering
- C-SPAN: Podcast of the Week - the weeks chosen broadcast - as with After Words not always on a topic of immediate interest to me (or one I've already listened to).
- NPR: It's All Politics - useful summary of political issues in the USA
- BBC: Americana - wider than just Congress, this is a useful background on the USA - often some quirky stories.
- CFR: The World Next Week - weekly preview of world events from the Council on Foreign Relations - Congressional activity is usually covered.
An experienced lecturer, tutor & researcher with practical experience of working in the UK and European Parliaments.
I have a keen academic and practical interest in the workings of both the UK Parliament and the US Congress.
Over the years I have broadcast on both UK & US Politics for BBC local radio stations.